The Morton County Commissioners are vested by Kansas State Statute with both legislative and administrative powers and duties. These powers and duties include:
- Supervision of county property
- Organization of townships following statutory procedures
- Control of the financial affairs of the county
- Approval of the annual budget
- Levying of county taxes
- Designation of depositories for the county treasurer
- Construction and maintenance of county roads and bridges
- Approval of land use and zoning policies for the county
- Issuance of bonds
- Awarding of contracts
- Incorporation of cities
- Creation of special districts
- Setting of salaries of all county officials
- Providing a jail, courthouse, office space, and supplies for all county officers and the district court
- Appointment of members of various boards and commissions
Code of Ethical Conduct for County Commissioners
- View the Code of Ethics (PDF).
A county commissioner should be vigorously dedicated to the democratic ideals of honesty, openness, and accountability in all public matters involving county government.
A county commissioner should model decorum, respect for others, and civility in all public relationships.
A county commissioner should actively practice stewardship of the county's human, fiscal, and material resources.
A county commissioner should strive for excellence and continuous learning in personal development and in all operations of county government.
A county commissioner should perform the duties of public office with fairness and impartiality so as to enhance public confidence in county government.
A county commissioner should neither seek nor accept any favor from any source which may be offered to influence his or her official decision making.
Agendas & Minutes
- View the Agenda Center for agenda and minutes documents.
Meeting Dates & Time
Second & Fourth Mondays of the Month
(Dates Subject to Change)
Special Commissioner Meeting's will be posted below:
Special Commissioner's Meeting: September 8, 2023 at 12:00 P.M. Morton County Hospital Classroom
9 am until finished, break for lunch at Noon
Morton County Courthouse
1025 Morton St.