If I win my case, how do I collect the money/property?

If you have won the case, you are the Judgment Creditor.  The loser of the case is the Judgment Debtor.  The Small Claims Procedure Clerk will give you (the Judgment Creditor) a form entitled "Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets". This form is to be used to help in the collection of the judgment, as the basis for proceedings such as Execution and Garnishments of wages and bank accounts or other property, if that becomes necessary.

The loser (Judgment Debtor) has 10 days after the judgment is entered to file an appeal.

Unless an appeal has been filed or full payment made to you or the Clerk of the Court within 15 days of the date of judgment, you (Judgment Creditor) are required to do the following:

  1. Send a copy of the Judgment Form or Journal Entry of Judgment and the blank form, Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets, to the loser (Judgment Debtor).
  2. File proof of mailing with the Clerk of the Court.  The Judgment Debtor has 30 days to either pay the judgment or complete the form "Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets" and return it to the Clerk of the Court, who will, in turn, send it to you, the Judgment Creditor.

Show All Answers

1. What is Small Claims Court?
2. What is required to file a case in Small Claims Court?
3. Who can be sued in Small Claims Court?
4. How do I file a claim?
5. What happens after a claim is filed?
6. What should I expect from my day in court?
7. If I win my case, how do I collect the money/property?
8. How do I appeal a case?
9. What do I do if I'm being sued in Small Claims Court?
10. What legal choices are open to me besides Small Claims Court?