How do I file a claim?

If your case meets the requirements noted above, you should file your claim by going to the Small Claims Division of the office of the District Court. You should have with you the required filing fee and the name and address of the person(s) you are suing.

You should also decide ahead of time the exact amount you want to recover and be prepared to give a written explanation of your case.

You may then fill out the petition at the Clerk's Office and file it, or you may take it home to complete and file later. The petition must be notarized or signed before the Clerk.

Show All Answers

1. What is Small Claims Court?
2. What is required to file a case in Small Claims Court?
3. Who can be sued in Small Claims Court?
4. How do I file a claim?
5. What happens after a claim is filed?
6. What should I expect from my day in court?
7. If I win my case, how do I collect the money/property?
8. How do I appeal a case?
9. What do I do if I'm being sued in Small Claims Court?
10. What legal choices are open to me besides Small Claims Court?